Monday 21 January 2013

An everyday classic: the humble English Breakfast 

Black English Breakfast
with some chocolate

I thought that it would be fitting to dedicate my first post on Blogger to one of my favourite tea of all time, the humble English Breakfast. This tea is, and always has been, my go-to tea for a number of reasons. 

Firstly, it tastes mellow enough to savour at all times of the day and night (if you don't mind the caffeine- I don't). Secondly, it requires a dash of milk that I like to delusionally think supplements my daily calcium requirements. This is very important to me because I have hated the taste and smell of milk since I was a small child, and could never, ever in my wildest dreams drink it from the cartoon. I have resorted to supplements for my intake instead. Thirdly, English Breakfast tea is available all around the world, and I have many fond memories of drinking it in aeroplanes, resorts and whilst frantically cramming for exams in the early hours of the morning at home (ha!).

Whilst I have tried many brands of this tea, I must say that in my opinion Twinings make the best blend. This tea has a consistent golden-orange colour and whilst it is generally quite strong in taste (it was traditionally used to wash down greasy english breakfast consisting of sausages and bacon), I love that you can control its strength through the amount of time you leave the bag in the teapot. I generally brew mine for about 2 minutes and add a drop of milk.

I find this tea has a warming effect on the belly and always leaves me content and happy, especially on a cold winters night. I love that it can easily be savoured throughout the year and that helps me get up in the mornings when all I want to do is stay in bed. What gets you up in the morning? If you haven't found your jojo then definitely give this classic blend a try. I promise that you wont regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment